Malady Lock (Pathfinder)
From DivNull RPG
Constructed specifically to combat the necromantic disease known as the Malady, the malady lock calls upon arcane and divine energy, as well as a little blood magic, to contain the disease. Creation of the lock predates written history, likely occurring during the time when the Galchutt actively roamed Praemal. The lock, on a box containing the disease, was placed in the Banewarrens by Danar Rotansin prior to his becoming the Dread One. The lock was briefly opened during Eslathagos Malkith’s emergence, but the disease soon caused problems within the Dread One’s own ranks, and the issue of control of the lock so divided his lieutenants that it became simpler to lock the disease back up again.
The lock is a unique, intricately detailed lead lock, divided into two large sections, one intended to be built into the top of a chest or cases, the other meant be mounted in the container below, aligned to receive the top part. When fit into any normal chest, crate, box or case built to hold it, it renders the container virtually indestructible. It also allows an attuned owner to control and, ultimately, contain the Malady.
To attune to the box, the user must meet the following requirements:
- They must be in physical contact with the box.
- They must be capable of casting both arcane and divine spells.
- They must have been infected with the Malady at some point since the sun last rose (though they need not be infected at present).
An attuned user can voluntarily place a good deal of their own blood into the box (3d6 damage) to issue one command to the lock. Multiple commands may be delivered each day, but each must be paid for in blood. The disease responds to the following commands:
- “Rest” causes all infected with the Malady to become non-contagious until the sun next rises. This command may be issued any time.
- “Stop” makes the Malady very vulnerable to disease curing magic. If a remove disease is cast on someone infected with the Malady, all others infected with the Malady within 100’ of the casting are also cured. This command may be issued any time.
- “Spread” invigorates the Malady, increasing the Save DC needed to resist it by +4 until the sun next rises. This cannot be issued in the same period as “Rest”.
- “Reveal” allows the attuned user to instantly know the location of every being infected with the Malady until the sun next rises. This command may be issued any time.
- “Look” allows the attuned user to instantly see through the eyes of any being infected with the Malady he or she is aware of (including knowledge gained from a “Reveal”) for the next 10 minutes. This command may be issued at any time.
- “Shelter” commands the Malady to return to the box on which the malady lock is mounted. This command can only be issued if less than 100 beings are infected. Any that remain must make a Fort save (DC 15) or die instantly, as the Malady kills them out of spite.
The malady lock can be opened by a Disable Device check (DC 30); however, any character who opens the lock when the Malady is inside is immediately bathed in necromantic energy as the disease escapes. This is similar to a destruction spell cast by a 20th level caster. Characters slain in this way rise as ghosts a few hours later. The disease automatically infects every living creature within 60’ (no save, but may be cured as normal).
Currently, the lock is mounted onto a simple ebony box, lined with unbleached cotton. Blood from long ago has dried onto the lining.